Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Odds and Ends

I don't expect this post to be a very long one. This weekend, expect to see a post about my first tutorial here in England, but for now to keep up with a biweekly plan of attack, here are few things that have happened to me in the last week or so that just didn't make the cut for my previous posts.

To start off with, I mentioned before that there were plenty of street performers in the streets of Oxford. Well it turns out that at least for any musical act, one must acquire a permit and thus perform in front of a counsel. What does this effectively mean, that most if not all of the street performances are brilliantly done. One in particular which is really odd, is a man on a bicycle which as he pedals blows bubbles. The particularly odd part is that he is wearing a rabbit head mask and is completely done up in Alice in Wonderland style clothing (picture below). These people litter the street and change multiple times a day. It certainly makes walking down Cornmarket St, the pedestrian zoned street, a fun and interesting experience.

So, even when writing this post, I am entirely exhausted. Tuesday has because my day of activity, in which I primarily devote my time to my extracurriculars. The first of which, minus a lecture, is Archery. I have made the conscious decision to try to be on the novice squad and begin competing in competition (the first of which is in a few weeks). Consequently, I will be given more individualized attention and a bow and equipment specifically for me to use. Assuming there isn't an overwhelming number of people who want to be on the team, I will also be given the opportunity to compete. Well, Archery is a more taxing sport than one might initially assume. The draw of the bow is, if done properly, entirely done using the muscles in one's back. Additionally, the pound of the bow can be quite heavy and this weight needs to be held as you aim and fire. As part of the group interested in being in the novice squad, we were moved to our own firing range with a bows that were heavier than the other lanes. The left eye dominant bow, the one I use, was around 35lbs and much too heavy for me, the only girl. to compensate for the added weight, I gripped the bow more tightly and incorrectly and as a result, each time I fired, I fired the string into my arm (picture below). Between jogging that morning, walking the 30 minute walk to the training centre, the strength required for archery and the walk back. I was pretty exhausted, but my day did not end there.

 I also had the role playing society game that night. The society game is much like the LARPs I do at Gencon and last night was the first night where we actually got to play our character. This meant that I spent about 3 hours talking to other characters and plotting for what our characters were going to do, in conjunction with other characters, over the next couple of weeks. It was fun and there is a ton of players, probably around 40-50 people playing. By the end of the night, I could barely stand and found myself wanting to tap out about 30 minutes early. By the time I returned to Regent's...I was ready for a good nights sleep. So while fun, my Tuesdays are turning out to be quite a busy day.

To conclude my mini report, I want to talk about something just plain cool about Regent's Park college. And that is that we have a tortoise that lives on campus (pictured below). I don't know anything about the turtle or why it is there, but I managed to snap a picture of it. It apparently lives on our quad. Just another neat little thing about my time here.

Well my first tutorial is tomorrow, my paper turned in, and my first science tutorial a week from Friday. I promise I am doing academic-y things too! I hope you enjoyed the update.

Adventure awaits.

KH

No comments:

Post a Comment