Sunday, October 27, 2013

Everything But My Tutorial

So guys, I know that Wednesday I promised you that I would be able to tell you about my tutorial, but well, things happened. So instead my report includes three exciting things, why I didn't have a tutorial, what I did Friday and Wednesday night, and archery.

So first my explanation of why I didn't have tutorial. It is actually such a simple story and such a simple mistake. After finishing my first essay and turning it in on time, I exchanged emails and made plans to meet with my tutor. I had nothing that day except for tutorial and in my phone which functions as my all purpose calender, I had set the time for tutorial at 4pm. Knowing that Archery was going on at 2-4:30, I decided to go to the first half and head to tutorial. Well, I arrived at Hartford college for my tutorial and went to the room I needed to be at and waited outside in the hall reviewing my notes. A man comes up and asks me if I have the room booked, because no one is supposed to have the room. I explain that I thought I had my tutorial. Thinking we had switched rooms, I checked my phone to have a email asking me where I had been for my tutorial and that she had waited for me and searched for me. Confused, I checked the email to unfortunately discover that I had written down the wrong time and thus missed my tutorial which was supposed to be at 3pm. Distraught I sent frantic apologies to my tutorial and now we are working on rescheduling. BAD LUCK continues to follow me like a dark shadow. I will have a tutorial one of these days.

On the bright side of the tutorial bad luck boat, I did get my first assignment for my ion channel tutorial with Dr. Tucker. 30 scientific papers later, I should be able to write that paper which is due in about 2 weeks. I am looking forward to it.

I, finally, got a chance to go clubbing. On Wednesday night, which isn't as a bad a night as it sounds, we went to a club called Lava Ignite aka Park end. I didn't have anything the next day until late, so it wasn't so bad to stay out late. Lava Ignite has a £5 entrance fee to get access to their two dance floors. The downstairs dance floor is lovingly called the "cheese" floor which plays largely 70s and 80s music and a few overplayed current songs. The point is that everyone knows the music and sings along. By midnight, the floor is so packed that there is barely any room to dance. The upper floor plays more current club music but it wasn't as much fun.  I definitely had fun dancing the night away.

Friday night, Sara and I got our friend Kate to get us tickets for Mansfield college event called Champagne and Chocolates which of course is the obvious thing, unlimited champagne and chocolates. Our mutual friend Heather, who is at LSE in London, came in also and went to the Formal dinner. That is where our night really got interesting. So it turns out that the president of Mansfield is close friends with all around amazing actor Alan Rickman, most people know him as Snape from Harry Potter, and he had come for formal dinner that night. Heather secretly took stalkerish picture of him at dinner, but I had resigned myself to not seeing him. Well we had had enough of the chocolate and champagne, and luck would have it, as we left so did Alan Rickman to his car. Sara and Heather followed after him a bit and he even ended up saying Hello to them. Sara about fainted. So it was quite cool to be within 5 feet of a famous actor, particularly one I admired and recognized. Talk about making the University of Oxford more like Harry Potter, despite most of the halls and college being actual sites of shooting for the films.

Finally, Archery has progressed nicely. I am going to ramp up my practices to three times a week and have been assigned a bow for me to use. My bruise has healed quiet a bit but it is still there and you should be happy to note that I got an arm guard. My first competition is in two weeks. Hopefully I will have some medals to present when it happens.

In a week, a few of us are planning to go to London. I will take pictures and tell you all about it when it happens. Hopefully, I will also have a tutorial. If nothing else of note happens, I will wait to post next Sunday. I will remain optomistic as this week continues. These weeks have tested my resilience and the worst craving I have had is a severe craving for Steak n Shake...burgers here are abysmal. I will try to keep you all updated.

Adventures Await

KH

No comments:

Post a Comment