Saturday, May 17, 2014

Birthdays

This week went by faster than I anticipated. It was a fairly clear week academically, that is not to say that I didn't do work.

My week started out with me being free as a bird. I prepared a little for my tutorials down the road, but I had absolutely no pressure. I relished in the moment to slow down and instead focused on shooting. The weekend took a lot more out of me than I expected. I found it difficult to loosen up enough to shoot properly on Monday night and fitness itself was an undertaking. I pushed through, however, and made the most of the time I had to shoot before RPG society and my birthday the next two days.

Role playing society went marginally better and afterwards I partook in a mini celebration with them. I made flapjacks, chocolate and cranberry, to give out as a treat and enjoyed a quiet but joyfully chatty evening. I drank a little but not a lot and enjoyed the various happy birthday from the society as a whole. The focus of attention was not entirely on me and I appreciated the low key nature.

My actual birthday was a mix of this low key vibe and a busy evening. I woke up early, excitement and all, and went for a jog. I hadn't been jogging for awhile and appreciated the chance to stretch my legs. Then I spent the afternoon playing video games, a leisure activity that I have done less and less since going to university. Go figure. My friend Amelia also made a wonderful cake of chocolate ganache, cookie dough mouse, oreo ice cream with an oreo crust for Sara and I as a joint birthday gift. It was delicious and huge! I really enjoyed spending a low key evening on my own and was just getting sick of the solitude when my parents skyped me. It was really nice to speak with them on my birthday. Afterwards, I ordered Indian take out and then began a mini pre-drinking party with some of my close Archery friends. They gave us gifts and cards and I was extremely touched. The two also took a moment to appreciate Sara's birthday which was today (Saturday). We all got past the tipsy point into drunk period when we went to a nearby pub for the Archery social.

So many people showed up to the pub which only helped raise my mood to ecstatic. It was once again a joint birthday celebration with cake, which I wasn't hungry enough to eat. More drinks were had and that is where the night starts to blur. We went to the club and much dancing and debauchery was had. It was quite enjoyable and I am really thankful that so many people left their comfort zone and came out to the club with me.

The next morning I had a bit of a headache, but with no pressing work, I could afford to take the day slow. I did a little bit of work and then played some more video games before ending my day with archery. It was a gorgeous day and I enjoyed being outdoors. That evening I saw an email from the role playing society game master talking about how busy they were and in need of extra GMs.  I vaguely acknowledged it before going to sleep. That night, I had a dream about being a GM. It was a strangely coherent dream in which I examined the logistics and evaluated my desires about being a  GM for the game.  When I woke up the next morning I realized that my dream had done the deciding for me. I volunteered to be a GM.

Being a GM for a society game is an exciting prospect. What it does mean, is lots of reading and lots of writing. We had our first meeting that evening and it was quite a long affair, but I relished it. I have plenty to do and honestly it has super charged my energy. The work is fun and I don't mind doing it. But of course it has kept me busy.

Today was Sara's birthday and it was also the birthday for the turtle that lives on our college quad. They had a birthday party/fundraiser  for the turtle which we proceeded to pretend it was Sara's birthday. It was a beautiful sunny and relaxing day. I participated in the raffle and won! I got a make up spa day and some eye shadow and lip gloss.

It was a quiet and fun evening. This week has been full of decisions and a variety of emotions. I would say it was mostly possible and I look forward to the next week. Until next time.

Adventures Await!

KH

No comments:

Post a Comment